Pakistan launches global manhunt for Mumbai suspects


Mumbai's Taj Mahal hotel burns during last November's attack by gunmen.
Pakistan has launched a global manhunt for 13 fugitives wanted in connection with last year’s terror attacks on the Indian financial capital of Mumbai.

Pakistan asked the international police agency Interpol to issue a global alert for the wanted men, Interpol announced Thursday. The alert did not identify the 13 suspects, but it said that “the fugitives’ names and other nominal data” will be sent to police in Interpol’s 186 member countries. Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Tayyiba has been blamed for the November 2008 siege in Mumbai which left 164 people dead. In June, an Indian court issued arrest warrants for 22 Pakistanis wanted in connection with the Mumbai attacks, including Lashkar-e-Tayyiba founder Hafiz Mohammed Saeed. The warrants stemmed from the trial of Ajmal Kasab, who Indian authorities say was the lone surviving gunman among the 10 men who launched the attack.

Don’t Miss
Mumbai gunman suspect ‘ready to die’

Why hotels are tempting targets for terrorists

In depth: Terror in Mumbai

Pakistan is under intense pressure from neighboring India to crack down on the group. In all, there are 35 suspects wanted in the case, including additional members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, Indian authorities say. Pakistan has arrested at least five of those wanted by India — including the alleged mastermind, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi — according to Pakistan’s Dawn newspaper. Their trial is expected to begin next week, the newspaper reported. Police said the gunmen killed more than 160 people, including many foreigners, as they laid siege on buildings such as the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower and Oberoi-Trident hotels, Mumbai’s historic Victoria Terminus train station and the Jewish cultural center, Chabad House.

Share