Since Kindergarten, they had been known as “the crew.” Still a close-knit group in high school, the five Henderson, Nev., boys were all delighted when Sean Larimer turned 16 and in 2003 became the first to get his driver’s license. Sean’s mom, Susan Larimer, a hospital nurse who was in the midst of a divorce, was happy about it too
Hoax is such a flimsy word, far too feeble to describe the wickedness of which the Heenes, Richard and Mayumi, now stand accused. Theirs was sleight of hand for the soul: now we see it, now we don’t; now we watch in horror and fear for their child’s life, a 6-year-old boy, frightened, cold, lost in the clouds; now we learn he was up in the garage attic with snacks, while Mom and Dad auditioned for their 15 minutes of fame.
Hours after Colorado authorities said they expect to file charges in the “balloon boy” case, sheriff’s deputies and detectives were seen entering and leaving the house of Richard Heene early Sunday. Heene is the storm-chasing father whose giant Mylar balloon ascended into the sky late last week, sparking fears that his 6-year-old son Falcon was aboard.
The man whose giant Mylar balloon ascended into the sky this week, amid fears that his 6-year-old was aboard, emerged from his house Saturday and offered a cardboard box for the media to submit questions. “I got people e-mailing me, calling me; they’ve got a lot of questions, and I don’t know how to quite frankly answer any of them other than I’ve got a box,” Richard Heene said about 10 a.m.