Nelson Piquet Jr admitted he will have to wait until the dust has settled on the “crashgate” scandal before he can attempt a return to Formula One.
The 24-year-old Brazilian attended a Motor Sport Council hearing on Monday over the conspiracy which saw him crash his Renault in the Singapore Grand Prix last year, where he subsequently revealed he is keen on a F1 comeback. Piquet, who was granted immunity by motorsport’s world governing body (FIA) for his testimony, believes his talent was not appreciated by former team boss Flavio Briatore. Despite the furor surrounding the affair the Brazilian hopes he can return to F1, but added there may be other options too. “I am aware that because of this (scandal) it will be difficult,” Piquet told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.
Vatanen critical of Piquet Jr immunity
‘Eternal regret’ of Renault race-fix engineer
Renault escapes with suspended ban after race-fixing hearing
Renault chief Pelata blames Briatore and Symonds
“Some people will be afraid that the same thing will happen. But it was a unique case and I have learned from it. “If I can’t find a place in F1, perhaps for one year I will go to America and try to do a good job there until the waves have calmed down a bit. “I was there in August for a week and spoke with some teams.” Renault have confirmed that they intend to continue racing in F1 for the future and also have appointed Bob Bell as the acting team principal for the remainder of the season. A statement on the Renault Web site said: “Following the unfortunate recent events, the Renault F1 Team has reacted swiftly by implementing a new temporary management team structure, which will be in place from today until the end of the 2009 season. “Bob Bell, currently technical director, takes on the duty of team principal and chief technical office. Bell will attend all the remaining races of the season and will be the team’s spokesperson on all sporting and technical matters “The Renault F1 Team is now ready to concentrate on the future.”