Big-spending English Premier League club Manchester City will unveil the much-anticipated signing of Argentina international Carlos Tevez on Tuesday afternoon.
City revealed on Monday night that the striker has agreed a five-year contract and would complete his move from bitter rivals Manchester United after passing a medical. The 25-year-old is expected to face the media ahead of City’s departure on Wednesday for a three-match pre-season tour of South Africa. A fee for the transfer has not yet been revealed, but it is reported that City have agreed to pay about $40 million to take over the player’s ownership rights from the sports agencies which previously held them. “It is terrific news,” City manager Mark Hughes told the club’s official Web site. “Carlos is an international player of the highest class who possesses all the attributes that will help drive this club forward. “He is not only outstanding technically but he is a reliable goal scorer and someone who will contribute fully to the team ethic. He gives us another exciting, attacking dimension. “I cannot wait to welcome him to City. This is yet another deal that shows the commitment of the owner Sheikh Mansour to make this club the very best it can possibly be. I am sure our fans will give Carlos an exceptionally warm welcome.”
Special: Football Fanzone
Manchester United confirm Tevez departure
Chelsea refuse City bid for Terry
Manchester City end interest in signing Eto’o
Santa Cruz becomes latest Man City signing
Villa’s Barry makes $20M Man City move
Premier League stricken with debt
The capture of Tevez will be a big boost for the club and its billionaire Abu Dhabi-based owner, who was forced to end his long-running bid to sign Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o. The Cameroon international, who had been offered a reported $400,000 a week wages, stalled on the move after being offered a new deal by the European champions, with some papers claiming he wanted a big chunk of any transfer fee paid by City. The Mancunians have also made a huge offer for Chelsea captain John Terry, but the London club have insisted that the England defender is not for sale. Hughes is reportedly also hoping to sign Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor in another $40 million deal that would leave the Welshman with nine strikers at his disposal. The former Manchester United forward already has new $30 million signing Roque Santa Cruz, January’s $23 million acquisition Craig Bellamy and Brazil star Robinho — who arrived a year ago in a British-record $58 million coup. Felipe Caicedo, Valeri Bojinov, Benjani Mwaruwari and Ched Evans have also been given shirt numbers — Tevez will wear No. 32 — in a 57-strong squad named ahead of the new season. Hughes has released former England international striker Darius Vassell, while England Under-20 forward Daniel Sturridge has joined Chelsea for a fee to be resolved by a tribunal. Meanwhile, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has revealed that he knew as long ago as January that Tevez would end his two-year stay at Old Trafford. “I half-expected Carlos Tevez would be going a long time back,” the Scot said. “I think he maybe did a deal around January because I spoke to him and gave him an offer on the night we played Inter Milan (in March) and he never came back to me. “I phoned him on holiday and he never got back to me and I texted him twice and he never got back to me then either, so obviously he had made his mind up a long time ago. “He was a good player and did well for us. But he obviously assessed the situation and wanted to go somewhere else.” Tevez scored 19 goals in 63 appearances for Premier League champions United after joining from West Ham, who he controversially saved from relegation despite a furor over his part-ownership with agent Kia Joorabchian’s MSI Group.
He has won 50 international caps, and has recently returned from holidays following Argentina’s latest World Cup qualifiers. Tevez, who has won an Olympic gold medal, is the only man to be named South American Player of the Year in three successive seasons.