Madonna was "devastated" to hear that a man was killed in an accident during construction for her upcoming concert in Marseilles, France, a representative said Thursday.
A 53-year-old French man was killed when a stage being built for the concert collapsed, a fire department spokesman in the southern French city said. Another two people, one British and one American, are severely injured, and four are lightly injured, officer David Goddin told CNN. “At this point we don’t know how it happened, but we are confident no one else is still under the rubble,” Goddin said. “My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news,” Madonna said in a statement issued by her representative, Liz Rosenberg. About 27 fire engines and 80 firefighters responded to the emergency when the stage collapsed at 5:15 p.m. (1515 GMT). “There were a lot of open fractures, of injuries, it was a messy sight,” one of the rescue workers told Agence-France Presse. The deputy mayor of Marseille, Jose Allegrini, told the agency the 50-year-old U.S. singer’s concert, planned for Sunday, had been cancelled. Madonna had been due to play five concerts at the Stade Velodrome as part of her “Sticky and Sweet” tour.