England build big lead by lunch at Lord’s

Andrew Strauss continued his fine form with the bat as Australia's bowlers again struggled on day three.
England continued to dominate the second Ashes Test against Australia after building a 267-run lead with all 10 wickets left by lunch on the third day at Lord’s.

Captain Andrew Strauss decided not to make the tourists follow-on after Australia’s final two wickets fell within the first hour of play on resumption on Saturday. Graham Onions claimed two wickets in three overs as the Australians, 156-8 overnight in reply to England’s first-innings 425, capitulated for a meager total of 215. Strauss and fellow opener Alastair Cook then continued their fine form as an opening partnership as they put on an unbroken 57 in the 13 overs before lunch. Strauss, who made 161 in the first innings, was on 24 off 37 deliveries at the interval. Cook, who compiled 95 in their previous stand of 196, had cracked 32 from 41 balls with six boundaries as the Australian bowlers again struggled with line and length.

Don’t Miss
Australia collapse leaves England on top

Strauss century but England falter late on

England snatch draw in dramatic Cardiff finish

Australia replace greats with graduates

Spinner Nathan Hauritz managed two overs for seven runs before the interval, again being called into the attack early with captain Ricky Ponting frustrated by the inaccuracy of his pace bowlers. Hauritz, who suffered a hand injury on the opening day, had earlier made a stubborn 24 with the bat as Australia failed to pass the follow-on target of 226. Resuming on three overnight, he helped add 44 for the ninth wicket with Peter Siddle before he edged a ball from Onions to Paul Collingwood at third slip. He had earlier survived when Cook could not take a sharp chance at short leg when the tailender fended at a short ball from a Stuart Broad.

Siddle made a Test-best 35 from 47 deliveries, hitting five boundaries until Onions struck again as the No. 10 edged to Strauss at first slip. Strauss and Cook then took toll on the new ball as England piled on the pressure in their bid to take a 1-0 lead in the five-match series.