3 ‘phenomenal shots’ ended pirate hostage crisis

Capt. Richard Phillips, right, stands with U.S. Navy Cmdr. Frank Castellano after Phillips' rescue Sunday.
In the end, it was a single moment that brought the hostage crisis to its dramatic finish.

Three gunshots. All three fatal. Fired in the dark by three specially trained U.S. Navy SEALs as the pirates’ boat rocked in the water off Somalia. “Phenomenal shots — 75 feet away,” said Navy Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, who oversees the region. A senior defense official told CNN that each was a shot to the head. Gortney, in an interview Monday with CNN’s “American Morning,” described critical steps that led to the rescue of U.S. Capt. Richard Phillips, who was taken by pirates after they boarded his merchant ship, the Maersk Alabama, east of Somalia on Wednesday. Four pirates had been holding Phillips in a small lifeboat, which had run out of fuel. “One of their pirates had left the lifeboat, needed medical attention and jumped onto one of our inflatable boats,” Gortney said. Watch Gortney describe how SEALs shot pirates » The pirate’s need for medical help was a credit to the Maersk’s crew. When the pirates first boarded their vessel, a tussle ensued, during which one of the crewmen stabbed the pirate in the hand. Four days later, the pirate’s departure from the lifeboat to accept U.S. medical help — and try to negotiate the captive’s release — left only three for the U.S. snipers to keep their eyes on.

Don’t Miss
Pirates vow to kill U.S., French sailors

Greene: Where SEAL heroes come from

Captain rescued; Navy snipers kill 3 pirates

TIME.com: Fighting piracy: Coordination needed

The three were “tired,” Gortney said. “The sea state was picking up. They agreed for us to tow them into little better waters as the ship was bouncing around. It was very tense.” The on-scene U.S. commander of the USS Bainbridge, which had come to try to negotiate the captain’s release, could see the three remaining pirates “were very, very intense. One of them held his AK-47 in the back of the captain. We were always concerned about the imminent danger to the captain.” The pirates had repeatedly threatened to kill Phillips, Gortney said. A Navy SEAL team had parachuted in and taken up positions on the Bainbridge’s back deck. The military had orders from President Obama authorizing lethal force if there was imminent danger. Watch how rescue played out hour by hour » “At one point, as uncomfortable as the pirates were, they exposed themselves where there was an opportunity,” Gortney said. He gave details of that “exposure” at a news conference Sunday. He said two of the pirates had their heads and shoulders exposed, while the third was visible in the boat’s pilot house, through a window. “The on-scene commander saw that one of the pirates still held that AK-47, was very, very concerned for the captain’s life — and he ordered the shots to be taken,” Gortney told CNN on Monday. Even with the small boat “moving up and down a couple of feet,” the SEALs hit their targets. “Remarkable marksmanship,” Gortney said. The moment came at 7:19 p.m. (12:19 p.m. ET) Sunday — after sundown, military officials say. In the minutes after, a special operations team shimmied along the tow rope to the lifeboat, confirmed that three pirates had been killed, and took Phillips back to the Navy ships that had gathered nearby. The fourth pirate was taken into custody.

“These guys [the SEALs] are very well trained, they have a lot of experience and there has to be a lot of communication between the shooters and the people making the decision that they all three had shots, that they could make their shots successfully,” retired U.S. Navy SEAL Dick Couch said on “American Morning.” He added, “Credit that on-scene commander with making a timely decision.”