An Indian court — trying the lone surviving suspect in last year’s Mumbai terrorist attacks — Friday ordered an inquiry into his age, prompted by his claim that he is a juvenile.
Mohammed Ajmal Kasab will undergo dental and bone tests, defense attorney Abbas Kazmi told CNN. On Tuesday, prosecutors will produce two witnesses to support their claim that the Pakistani national is an adult. Kazmi said his client was a minor whose case belongs in juvenile court. Kasab is charged with 12 criminal counts including murder, attempted murder and waging war against India. He has recanted, saying he confessed under duress. He was caught on surveillance camera holding a gun as he stalked and killed people inside Mumbai’s main train station in November, police said. Kasab is also accused of shooting people at Mumbai’s Cama hospital. Kasab is one of 10 Pakistani nationals who police said unleashed terror on Mumbai, India’s financial capital, for four days and three nights.
Mumbai attack lawyer under threat
‘Colonel’ from Pakistan wanted in Mumbai case
In the Field: Mixed emotions at hotel
In depth: Terror in Mumbai
Police said the gunmen killed more than 160 people as they took over three luxury hotels and a Jewish center, and shot up several other places, including a popular restaurant. The attack was an effort to capture Kashmir, prosecutors said. A dispute over whether India or Pakistan owns the territory has led to wars between the two countries.