Despite a confession by the sole surviving suspect in the Mumbai terror attacks and his lawyer’s offer to withdraw from the case, an Indian court said Thursday that it will continue with the trial. Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, 21, stunned the court Tuesday when he admitted his role in the attacks on India’s financial capital, which began on November 26 and continued for four days and three nights. Prosecutors said Kasab’s guilty plea was an attempt to deflect attention from his alleged handlers in Pakistan.
Medical tests show that the lone surviving suspect in last year’s Mumbai terrorist attacks is not a juvenile, so should be tried as an adult, prosecutors said Tuesday. A panel of four doctors carried out dental and bone tests to determine Mohammed Ajmal Kasab’s age, as ordered by the judge, and determined that he is older than 20, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told reporters. The prosecution also presented two witnesses to support its claims that Kasab is not a juvenile, as he claimed
The main suspect captured alive in last year’s Mumbai terror attacks declared Monday that he is a Pakistani national, prosecutors said. The Indian government has long said that the three-day siege in November was carried out by Lakshar-e-Tayyiba, a Pakistan-based outfit
The only surviving suspect accused of taking part in the deadly terror attacks in Mumbai, India, was formally charged Wednesday with attempted murder and damage to public property, a prosecutor said. Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told reporters that Mohammed Ajmal Kasab did not attend the court session because of security reasons. Nikam, speaking outside Qila Court in Mumbai, said Kasab will face other charges.