Renault was yesterday hit by the fallout of its Formula One team’s “Crashgate” scandal after two of its sponsors announced they were terminating their contracts with immediate effect. ING, the Dutch bank and Renault Formula One’s title sponsor, said it was “deeply disappointed” at the sequence of events that resulted in the team’s two-year suspended ban for ordering one of its drivers to crash deliberately in last year’s Singapore grand prix.
The pilot rescued after the crash of two French fighter jets is recovering aboard an aircraft carrier, the French Defense Ministry said Friday, while the search continued for the pilot of the other plane. ING, the Dutch bank and Renault Formula One’s title sponsor, said it was “deeply disappointed” at the sequence of events that resulted in the team’s two-year suspended ban for ordering one of its drivers to crash deliberately in last year’s Singapore grand prix
Renault’s former chief engineer Pat Symonds has spoken of his “eternal regret” at his involvement in the race-fixing conspiracy in last year’s Singapore Grand Prix. But Symonds.
Renault’s Formula One boss Flavio Briatore has quit his post after the team announced Wednesday that it would not dispute race-fixing allegations relating to the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. In a statement on its Web site, the French team announced that its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, has also stepped down
The Renault Formula One team have commenced legal proceedings against former driver Nelson Piquet Junior over allegations made by the Brazilian that he was asked by the team to deliberately crash his car in last year’s Singapore Grand Prix. It has been claimed that Renault boss, Flavio Briatore, in order to maximize the chances of Fernando Alonso winning the 2008 race, planned the crash of teammate Piquet Jr.
Fernando Alonso refused to comment on Renault’s upcoming hearing about alleged race-fixing at last year’s Singapore Grand Prix as he chose to focus on this weekend’s race in Monza.
Formula One’s governing body has launched an investigation into "alleged incidents at a previous Formula One event". Although the FIA haven’t yet formally disclosed the race in question, it has been reported by several new agencies that the race in question is the inaugural Singapore Grand Prix held in September last year. The investigation is believed to relate to a crash by Renault’s Nelson Piquet.