‘Just Not That Into You’ gets lots of love


Drew Barrymore and Scarlett Johansson star in the Warner Bros. romantic comedy
Yes, audiences were, in fact, just that into "He’s Just Not That Into You." The star-studded romantic comedy won its opening weekend by a wide margin, grossing $27.5 million, according to Sunday’s early estimates.

That sum exceeds expectations, and it’s on par with the debut totals of distaff draws like “The Devil Wears Prada” ($27.5 million) and last year’s winter hit “27 Dresses” ($23 million). While this is very good news for many folks surrounding the film — from actors like Ben Affleck and Drew Barrymore, who have had mixed financial track records of late, to the people behind “Sex and the City,” whose franchise helped inspire this movie — Jennifer Aniston may benefit most. The “Friends” alumna had never fully caught fire at the box office, but “He’s Just Not That Into You” now represents her second straight box office success, following “Marley & Me,” which has barked up more than $140 million to date. Anyway, needless to say, the film drew a crowd that was a whopping 80 percent female and 60 percent over age 25. They gave it a B+ CinemaScore grade. “Taken” (No. 2) enjoyed a super-strong second outing, with $20.3 million, a miniscule decline of just 18 percent from its big Super Bowl weekend win. The Liam Neeson action thriller has banked $53.4 million in 10 days.

Don’t Miss
EW.com: Box office top 10

Meanwhile, the 3-D animated flick “Coraline” came in at No. 3 with $16.3 million, which is a particularly sweet sum for an oddball family film on a crowded weekend. Disappointing, however, was my pick for the weekend winner, “The Pink Panther 2” (No. 4), which brought in a paltry $12 million. That’s a substantially lower gross than anticipated and also significantly down from the $20.2 million first weekend take of 2006’s “The Pink Panther.” And all despite drawing a crowd that was pretty much evenly spread out across all demographics and that gave “The Pink Panther 2” a decent B+ CinemaScore review. Oh well. “Paul Blart: Mall Cop” rounded out the top five, with $11 million. And the weekend’s other big new release, the sci-fi flick “Push,” grossed a good-enough $10.2 million at No. 6. Overall, the cumulative box office total was up a huge 36 percent from the same frame a year ago, when “Fool’s Gold” led the way. And things may continue to look up as the week continues and the one-two shot of “Friday the 13th” and Valentine’s Day approach.

Share

Raging Australia bushfires kill at least 35

Deadly bushfires raged on in southeast Australia on Sunday despite cooler temperatures and scores of firefighters trying to control the flames. At least 35 people have died in the fires, authorities said Sunday “Unfortunately those numbers will increase as we move through the day,” said Kieran Walshe, deputy police commissioner of the state of Victoria, told CNN on Sunday, adding that police are investigating possible instances of arson. “We do believe some of the fires are the result of human intervention,” he said Continue reading

Share

Iraqi official: U.S. troops shot pilgrims

U.S. forces shot two Shiite pilgrims on Saturday night as they walked to Karbala for an upcoming holy day, an Interior Ministry official said. The victims were a man and a woman, and the man later died of his injuries, the official said Continue reading

Share

NZ PM’s mishap is lucky break for charity

An Internet auction to sell off the plaster cast that New Zealand Prime Minister John Key wore when he broke his right arm has raised close to NZ$ 20,000 for charity. The online auction ended Sunday with a winning bid of NZ$18,500 (US$ 9,362), according to the New Zealand shopping Web site TradeMe, which conducted the bidding. The prime minister broke his arm in two places on January 17 when he tripped on some stairs at a Chinese New Year event in Auckland Continue reading

Share

Galaxy reject initial Milan bid for Beckham

David Beckham will have to return to the Los Angeles Galaxy next month unless AC Milan raise their bid for the England midfielder — the LA Times have reported. Speaking for the first time on Beckham’s wish for a permanent move to Milan, Tim Leiweke — chief executive of Galaxy owners AEG — told the newspaper that an offer received by the club had been too low and time was running out to meet the Major League Soccer outfit’s valuation. On Wednesday, Beckham expressed his desire to convert his current short-term loan with Milan into a permanent move and walk out on a five-year contract he signed with the Galaxy in 2007. Continue reading

Share

Doctor loses license in live birth abortion case

A doctor’s license was revoked Friday in the case of a teenager who planned to have an abortion but instead gave birth to a baby she says was killed when clinic staffers put it into a plastic bag and threw it in the trash. Continue reading

Share

French toxic ship ends global odyssey

A ship laden with toxic substances is due to arrive in northeast England for recycling Sunday, ending an odyssey that has seen it turned away from at least three other countries. The French Navy spent years looking for a site that would decommission the former aircraft carrier Clemenceau, now known simply as the Q790 Continue reading

Share

U.S. soldiers killed while disabling bomb in Afghanistan

Two U.S. soldiers and three Afghans were killed while the soldiers were trying to disable a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, a local journalist at the scene told CNN. The U.S. Continue reading

Share

Reports: Kidnapped Polish engineer executed in Pakistan

Polish authorities in Pakistan say they are monitoring local reports that Taliban militants have executed a kidnapped Polish engineer. Piotr Stancza was kidnapped September 28 from the city of Attock in Punjab province. Continue reading

Share

Top Iranian reformer to challenge Ahmadinejad, reports say

Ending weeks of speculation, former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami announced Sunday that he will run against the hardline incumbent, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, according to Iranian media reports. “I declare that I will stand for the next elections,” Khatami told reporters on Sunday, according to Iran’s state-run news agency, IRNA. Continue reading

Share